Myfortic Uses

After a kidney transplant, an immunosuppressant such as Myfortic is usually prescribed in order to prevent the body from rejecting the new kidney. It is designed to be taken with other medications (cyclosporine and a corticosteroid), and works by decreasing the activity of the immune system. There are also unapproved ("off-label") uses of Myfortic, such as the treatment of atopic dermatitis.

What Is Myfortic Used For?

Myfortic® (mycophenolate sodium) is a prescription anti-rejection medication that belongs to a group of drugs called immunosuppressants. It is approved to prevent organ rejection in people who have received a renal (kidney) transplant. Myfortic is used in combination with cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®) and a corticosteroid (such as prednisone).
A kidney transplant is a surgical procedure in which a healthy kidney from a donor is placed into a person whose kidneys are no longer functioning properly. The transplanted kidney takes over the work of the failing kidneys. Because only one kidney is needed to replace two failing kidneys, the healthy kidney can come from a living donor.
People who receive a kidney transplant are at risk for transplant rejection. This is because the immune system, which protects the body against potentially harmful substances, recognizes the transplanted kidney as foreign and attacks it. It is important to prevent transplant rejection from occurring, as this can cause a transplanted kidney to fail.
Anti-rejection medicines are given after transplant surgery to help prevent rejection. People who have received an organ transplant will usually need to take anti-rejection medicines, such as Myfortic, for the rest of their lives.

Myfortic Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.