Mycophenolate Overdose

It is unclear what to expect from a large mycophenolate overdose. However, it's likely that any symptoms would be similar to the drug's usual side effects, including nausea, vomiting, and decreased white blood cell count. Treatment options may include providing supportive care and administering activated charcoal and cholestyramine.

Can You Take Too Much Mycophenolate?

Mycophenolate (CellCept®, Myfortic®) is a prescription medication approved for use with other drugs to prevent organ rejection in people who have received a kidney, heart, or liver transplant. As with most medicines, it is possible to take too much mycophenolate. The specific effects of an overdose can very, depending on a number of factors, including the mycophenolate dosage and whether it was taken with any other medicines or substances.
 

Symptoms of a Mycophenolate Overdose

At this time, it is not known what to expect from large overdoses with this medication. Symptoms of a smaller overdose are expected to be similar to the known mycophenolate side effects. However, some side effects may be more likely to occur during an overdose, such as:
 
  • A decrease in white blood cells, which could increase the risk for infection
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
  • Heartburn or indigestion.
  •  

Treatment Options

Treatment for a mycophenolate overdose may vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or give a medication known as cholestyramine (Prevalite®, Questran®, Questran® Light) to help reduce the amount of mycophenolate absorbed into the bloodstream.
 
Dialysis is not expected to be helpful in removing much mycophenolate from the body. However, it may help remove some of the drug in cases of a large overdose.
 
Treatment will also likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of an overdose. Supportive treatment for an overdose with mycophenolate may include:
 
  • Close monitoring of blood cell counts
  • Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary.
  •  
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this or any other medication.
 

Mycophenolate Drug Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.