Kidneys Home > Votrient Dosage
Available in the form of a tablet, Votrient is taken once a day on an empty stomach. Your healthcare provider will determine your dosage based on several factors, including your liver function and other medications you are taking. The standard Votrient dose for people who have normal liver function is usually 800 mg once a day.
An Introduction to Dosing With VotrientThe dose of Votrient® (pazopanib) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your liver function
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Votrient Dosage GuidelinesThe standard dose of Votrient for the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) and soft tissue sarcoma is 800 mg once a day. This is the maximum recommended dose. The usual amount in people with moderate liver disease is 200 mg a day.
People who are taking certain other medications may need a lower Votrient dosage (see Votrient Drug Interactions). Also, people who experience bothersome side effects may need a lower amount. If a decrease is necessary in people with kidney cancer, it is recommended that the dosage first be reduced to 400 mg a day. It can then be adjusted up or down by no more than 200 mg at a time. The dosage in people with soft tissue cancer can be adjusted up or down by 200 mg at a time.
General Information on Taking VotrientSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Votrient include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You should take Votrient on an empty stomach, one hour before or two hours after a meal.
- Votrient should be swallowed whole. Do not crush, chew, or cut the tablets.
- Avoid drinking grapefruit juice while taking this medication.
- Try to take your dose about the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream. It will also help you remember to take it.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Votrient, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.