Kidneys Home > Simulect Overdose
It is not exactly clear what to expect if someone receives too much Simulect (basiliximab). Because this drug is administered by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, an overdose is unlikely to occur. In clinical trials, high doses of the drug did not appear to result in any serious problems. If an overdose does occur, treatment would likely involve supportive care.
Can You Receive Too Much Simulect?Simulect® (basiliximab) is an injectable prescription medication used in combination with other drugs to prevent kidney transplant rejection. Because this medication is administered by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, an intentional overdose is unlikely to occur.
If an overdose does occur, the symptoms could vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Simulect dosage and whether it was given with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of a Simulect OverdoseIt is not entirely clear what to expect from a Simulect overdose. This is because there is limited information available about the possible effects of an overdose. There has been one report of a child receiving a dose of 20 mg (two times the lowest pediatric dose). In this report, no dangerous side effects were reported.
In clinical trials, single doses as high as 60 mg (three times the usual dose) were given to adults without any serious problems. Also, doses of up to 120 mg over three to five days have been reported without causing serious symptoms.
Treatment OptionsTreatment for a Simulect overdose would likely involve close monitoring for any possible symptoms and supportive care. Supportive care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of an overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have received too much Simulect.