Kidneys Home > Rapamune Overdose
If a person overdoses on Rapamune (sirolimus), the symptoms would likely be similar to the usual side effects that have been reported with the drug. Some of these effects include high blood pressure, edema, and kidney problems. Treating this type of overdose may involve "pumping the stomach," administering activated charcoal, or providing supportive care.
Rapamune® (sirolimus) is a prescription medication approved to prevent rejection in people who have received a kidney transplant. It is used in combination with other medicines. As with any medicine, it is possible to take too much Rapamune. The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Rapamune dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There is very little information available on what to expect with an overdose of Rapamune. Based on the limited information that is available, symptoms are expected to be similar to the usual Rapamune side effects. Such side effects include but are not limited to:
- Edema (swelling) of the body, especially the hands, feet, ankles, or legs
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Kidney problems
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Joint pain
- Increased heart rate.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to help remove Rapamune from the bloodstream.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, high blood pressure, if it occurs, may be treated with blood pressure medicines.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken an overdose of Rapamune.