Kidneys Home > Rapamune Dosage
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Rapamune include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet and an oral solution. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Rapamune with or without food. However, you should always take it the same way -- either always with food or always without food.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- Do not crush, cut, or chew Rapamune tablets. They should be swallowed whole.
- If you are also taking cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune), take your Rapamune dosage four hours after your cyclosporine dosage.
- People who are unable to swallow tablets can be given Rapamune oral liquid solution.
- The oral solution should be mixed with 60 mL of water or orange juice (2 ounces or ¼ cup) immediately before drinking. Follow the specific instructions that came with your prescription to correctly prepare and take your dose. If you are unsure about anything in the instructions, or were not given instructions, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Rapamune will not protect you from transplant rejection if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.