Kidneys Home > Omontys Overdose
It is possible -- and quite dangerous -- to overdose on Omontys (peginesatide), as it can cause the red blood cells in the body to increase too quickly or too much. As a result, it may cause potentially serious complications, such as a heart attack, stroke, or blood clot. Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you have received too much of this medication.
Can You Receive Too Much Omontys?Omontys® (peginesatide) is a prescription medication used to treat anemia. It belongs to a group of medications known as erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs). As with most medications, it is possible to receive too much Omontys.
Effects of an OverdoseOmontys works by stimulating the production of red blood cells. The expected symptoms of an Omontys overdose are caused by the red blood cells increasing too quickly or too much. This can be quite dangerous, increasing the risk for the following effects:
- Dangerously high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Heart attacks
- Blood clots
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Problems with the dialysis access site.