Kidneys Home > Nexavar Dosage
Nexavar comes in the form of a tablet and is usually taken twice daily on an empty stomach. The standard recommended dosage of Nexavar is normally 400 mg twice daily. However, if you develop potentially serious side effects, you may need a lower dose, or you may need to stop treatment with this drug.
An Introduction to Dosing With NexavarThe dose of Nexavar® (sorafenib) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on how well you tolerate the medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Nexavar Dosage GuidelinesThe standard dose of Nexavar for the treatment of renal cell carcinoma (a type of kidney cancer), hepatocellular carcinoma (a type of liver cancer), or differentiated thyroid carcinoma (a type of thyroid cancer) is 400 mg twice daily. Treatment usually continues until Nexavar is no longer working to slow down the progression of cancer or until potentially serious side effects occur.
People who experience certain potentially serious side effects may need to stop taking Nexavar for some time or take a lower dose. If a lower dose is necessary, it is usually reduced to 400 mg once daily. If side effects continue, the amount may be reduced again to 400 mg every other day.
General Information on Taking NexavarSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nexavar include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day.
- Nexavar should be taken on an empty stomach at least one hour before or two hours after food.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not split, crush, or cut the tablets.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- For Nexavar to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Nexavar, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.