Kidneys Home > Neoral Overdose
It is possible to take too much Neoral. Some effects from an overdose of this drug include vomiting, seizures, and an abnormal heart rhythm. Treatment for this type of overdose will usually involve supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Some treatment options may include pumping the stomach, administering activated charcoal, and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Neoral?Neoral® (cyclosporine) is a prescription immunosuppressant medication. As with any medicine, it is possible to overdose on Neoral.
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- Kidney problems (which are usually temporary)
- Increased blood pressure (hypertension)
- Changes in taste
- Flushing of the face
- Burning sensation in the mouth or on the skin
- Sore gums
- Muscle twitch
- Swelling of the abdomen (stomach), arms, legs, ankles, or feet
- Confusion or altered consciousness
- An abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia).
Treatment OptionsTreatment for a Neoral overdose may vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the drug absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to help remove Neoral from the bloodstream.
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Close monitoring of kidney function, body salts (electrolytes), blood pressure, and heart rhythm
- Medications to treat seizures, if they occur.