Kidneys Home > Neoral Dosage
General Information on Taking NeoralSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Neoral include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a capsule and a solution (liquid). It is taken by mouth twice a day.
- You can take Neoral with food or on an empty stomach; however, it should always be taken the same way, so that the same amount of time between doses and meals is consistent every day.
- Neoral contains a modified form of cyclosporine, which has been slightly changed from regular cyclosporine (Sandimmune) and is more easily absorbed into the body. For this reason, Neoral and original cyclosporine are not interchangeable. If you need to switch from one type or brand of cyclosporine to another, only do so under your healthcare provider's supervision. He or she may need to adjust your dosage.
- Take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of drug in your blood.
- Neoral solution should be mixed with room temperature apple or orange juice just prior to taking your dose. Do not mix the medicine with milk or grapefruit juice.
- Use a glass container (not plastic) when mixing liquid Neoral, and drink the mixture immediately after mixing. After drinking the medicine, add a little more juice to the glass and drink again to make sure you get the complete dosage.
- Always use the supplied dosing syringe to measure your liquid dose. You may wipe the dosing syringe off with a clean towel after use, but it should not be rinsed. Rinsing it off may affect the accuracy of the syringe. If the syringe is exposed to water, make sure it dries completely before using it again.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking this medicine, or change to another brand of cyclosporine medicine, without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Neoral dosage, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.