Kidneys Home > Everolimus
How Does It Work?Protein kinases are enzymes found in the body that regulate cell function, including cell growth. Everolimus works by blocking the action of a specific protein kinase called the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR).
When and How to Take This MedicationSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with everolimus include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form and dispersible tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day, depending on the particular product you are using. The dispersible tablets are used to make a suspension just before each dose.
- You can take this medicine with or without food; however, always take it the same way (either always with food or always without food).
- For the regular tablets, do not cut, chew, or crush everolimus tablets. Swallow them whole with a glass of water.
- For the dispersible tablets, carefully follow the package instructions to prepare the suspension, either using an oral syringe or a small cup. If the suspension is not taken within 60 minutes of preparation, it must be discarded.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.