Kidneys Home > Epogen Overdose
If a person takes too much Epogen, overdose symptoms could include stroke, congestive heart failure, heart attack, and blood clots. These effects are usually caused by the red blood cells increasing too quickly or too much. If red blood cells increase too much, it can be corrected by removing blood. Treatment for an Epogen overdose may also include supportive care.
Epogen® (epoetin alfa) is a prescription medication used to treat anemia. It is part of a group of medications known as erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs). The effects of an Epogen overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Epogen dosage and whether it was taken with other medicines, alcohol, or street drugs. It is also important to know how the Epogen overdose was taken (by mouth, injected under the skin, or by IV).
If you happen to overdose on Epogen, seek immediate medical attention.
Epogen works by stimulating the production of red blood cells. The expected symptoms of an Epogen overdose are caused by the red blood cells increasing too quickly or too much. This can be dangerous, increasing the risk of the following effects:
- Heart attacks
- Blood clots
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Clotting off of a tube used to perform dialysis (called a hemodialysis graft).
An Epogen overdose may have more serious effects if it is taken by injection or IV. If it is taken by mouth, the digestive system will digest and destroy the delicate Epogen molecules.
If the red blood cells increase too much, this can be corrected by removing blood. This is done with the same process as that used for donating blood (except the blood is not donated). Treatment for an Epogen overdose may also include supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.