The recommended starting dosage of Inlyta will depend on other medications you are taking, whether you develop serious reactions to the drug, and other factors. The initial dosage is usually 5 mg taken twice daily. However, this amount can be adjusted depending on how well you tolerate the drug. This medication comes as a tablet and is taken twice daily, with 12 hours between each dose.
An Introduction to Dosing With InlytaThe dose of Inlyta® (axitinib) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you tolerate the medication
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Inlyta DosageThe standard initial recommended dose of Inlyta for the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) is 5 mg twice a day. Your healthcare provider may increase your dosage to 7 mg twice daily if you tolerate the initial dose for at least two weeks, and then to 10 mg twice daily if you continue to tolerate the medicine well.
Some people who experience potentially serious Inlyta side effects may need to have a lower dosage. If the amount is decreased from 5 mg twice daily, it is recommended that the dosage first be reduced to 3 mg twice daily, and then 2 mg twice daily if further reductions are needed.
Also, people taking certain other medications and people with moderate liver disease will be started on lower Inlyta doses.
General Information on Taking InlytaSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Inlyta include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet. It is taken by mouth twice a day, with 12 hours between doses.
- You can take Inlyta with or without food.
- Try to take your doses at about the same time each day to keep an even level of the medication in your bloodstream.
- Inlyta should be swallowed whole with a glass of water. Do not crush, chew, or cut the tablets.
- You should avoid drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit while taking this medicine. Grapefruit may increase the level of Inlyta in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Inlyta dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.