If you have taken too much CellCept (mycophenolate mofetil), seek immediate medical care. Overdosing on this medicine may result in vomiting, diarrhea, or various other problems. The specific effects will depend on how much of the drug was taken and whether it was combined with other substances. Treatment for a CellCept overdose may include administering certain medications, pumping the stomach, and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much CellCept?CellCept® (mycophenolate mofetil) is a prescription immunosuppressant medication used after certain organ transplants. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much CellCept.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the CellCept dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseThere is limited information available about large overdoses of this drug. Based on information from clinical trials, in which doses as high as 5 grams were given, overdose symptoms tend to be similar to the usual CellCept side effects. However, some side effects are more likely to occur during an overdose, including:
- Decrease in white blood cells.
Treatment Options for a CellCept OverdoseThe treatment for a CellCept overdose may vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or other medications, such as cholestyramine (Prevalite®, Questran®, Questran® Light), to help reduce the amount of CellCept absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to be helpful in removing CellCept from the body, although it may remove small amounts in cases of a large overdose.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive treatment for a CellCept overdose may include:
- Fluids and electrolytes (body salts) through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Monitoring of blood cell counts
- Medications to reduce blood pressure if high blood pressure occurs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.