If someone overdoses on Azasan, it may result in vomiting, infections, and even loss of life. The specific effects will depend on how much of the drug was taken and whether it was combined with other medications. If an overdose occurs, treatment may involve pumping the stomach, administering certain medications, and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Azasan?Azasan® (azathioprine) is a medication used to prevent rejection after a kidney transplant and to treat rheumatoid arthritis. As with any medication, it is possible for a person to take too much Azasan.
The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Azasan dosage and whether it was taken with any other medicines or substances.
- Bone marrow depression (a decreased ability of the bone marrow to make blood cells)
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Loss of life.
Treatment Options for an Azasan OverdoseIf the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach" or administer certain medicines. Once the drug has been absorbed into the bloodstream, dialysis may be useful for removing Azasan from the blood.
Treatment may also include supportive care, which is treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Azasan overdose can include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.